Tuesday, June 25, 2013

[Review] Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 - Mint

Almost all of my friends own at least a tube of Kiehl's lip balm, and everyone's heard of them! There's been so much hype over this product - I've seen it featured in high profile magazines, TV shows and some celebrities swear by it. So I bought into the hype, and purchased their "mint" flavour.

In a word? It's overrated. 






Product description
Temporarily protects and helps relieve chapped or cracked lips. Helps protect lips from the drying effects of wind and cold weather.

Prices
Kiehl's: $8.50 USD, without tax
eBay: $8-15 USD
Amazon: $7-13 USD
[This lip balm is sold in a variety of other places, including Nordstorm and Saks Fifth Avenue)




Packaging and ingredients 
This product can be purchased in the 15mL tube (pictures of that shown below), and a 15mL tub. Some may say that the tube packaging is boring and dull, but I actually like it! It says what it needs to say, without any frills or dandy stuff. 

As shown below, the active ingredients are 1% Octinoxate, which serves to protect your lips from the sun. 89.5% is petrolatum - it's another word for Petroleum jelly, which is... Vaseline. 

There's a whole bunch of inactive ingredients, but I won't go into those details - they're shown in the pictures below~



The tube format is meant to be hygienic - I don't have to dip my fingers in any jars. However, the flatness of the tip, where the hole is, isn't easy to use. It's not easy to squeeze the tube and apply it directly on the lips. I have to get some on my finger and rub it myself; this takes away the "hygienic" idea of the tube packaging. 

The product comes out fairly easily, and I've noticed that the consistency of the product can vary a lot. Even if it's just a tad, tad bit warmer, the lip balm will be extremely liquid-y (almost like water), and ooze out of the tube, getting itself all over me.



Using it


1 and 2. "Before" pictures of my chapped up, gross lips. (...and yes, that's a bit of blood right there. Ew, sorry~ ;n; )
3. Applied Kiehl's lip balm 
4. After 4-5 applies, this is the outcome




My thoughts 

After all the hype over this product and using it, I'm not convinced this is anything near "holy grail". This product works as well as a tub of plain 'ol vaseline - it works, but it ain't anything special. It's also a bit pricier than other lip balms. I don't think that it's worth such a price, because it's mostly just petroleum jelly. I can buy that stuff for cheaper in Walmart (or anywhere, really), and it'll have the same effects.

In my personal experience, I find that Blistex "Lip Medex" is way more effective than the Kiehl's lip balm. In just one use, there's a signifiant improvement to my chapped lips. Kiehl's, on the other hand, takes more applications to achieve almost-similar results. It (Kiehls) absorbs too quickly, and vanishes on my lips soon after applying... without leaving much of a positive difference.


Pros:
- It works, but you need to apply every so often
- A tube lasts a fairly long time
- Easy to find

Cons:
- Packaging isn't the best, nor hygienic
- Expensive (compared to other lip balms)
- Contains parabens
- Mostly just petroleum jelly, nothing special

Repurchase? No, I'm sticking to my trusty 'ol Blistex!




What about you?
Have you used this lip balm? What what your experience with it? Do you think the hype is well earned? 


23 comments:

  1. Aww, that's such a pity, but Kiehl's midnight oil is really good!

    <3 Cel
    http://thesnowflowerrr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. just followed your blog, its soooo pretty and gorgeous! <3


    www.sunshined4isy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Such A nice blog! I haven't seen that lipbalm in the UK but will watch out for it!
    Xoxo
    Lydia
    Blue-slushy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame it's kind of price when it's mostly vaseline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thank you for the comment :)
    The dish is not so hard to make so I'm sure you could easily prepare it!
    If there's a problem with the language, I could translate the recipe ;)

    I liked your blog and started following it on Bloglovin

    Greets :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw. I guess you can just use Pawpaw ointment as a substitute?
    I heard vaseline isn't good for you somewhere...
    Great post though!
    I've actually never heard of this brand lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! I haven't heard of this before o:. Most of my friends use blistex, but it's personally hard for me to find chap stick that actually works! I use a product called softlips. It works well for me and I don't really have to use it very often, so it lasts a while for me. It also comes in different flavours ^^.
    I'll watch out for this product, though! Even though it's pricey.
    http://dorychuu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. nothing more annoying when your not as satisfied with an expensive product, they should do samples that you can take and use for a week for really cheap if not nothing.
    although it does look effective in the pictures

    www.chanellejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww,,,to bad the price does not guarantee quality (>_<)
    Have you ever try mentholatum lip balm? thats is my fav lip balm ever for medicine my dry lips! :-D

    (^_^)/ you have a nice blog! its me from
    http://misseharascloset.blogspot.com/
    I follow your blog via GFC, bloglovin & twitter,,lets be friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review! I thought that this was a bit of an expensive chaptstick/lip balm. I personally really love Burt's Bees lip products and they're much cheaper. I also really love the Rosebud Perfume Co.'s lip balm in Strawberry! It comes in a big tin and I've had mine for months and months! I know hygiene is an issue, but I use it mainly at night and I only need a dab with clean fingers and it stays on well into the morning after I wake up. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review & blog! I love your header, so cute! ♡
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I was going to buy this, luckily I saw your review first.
    I have extra dry lips so I use Burt's Bee or Carmex ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review, it's good to hear honest opinions about products! <3 Lovely blog, keep up the good work ^^ <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the review~~~ :D , I usually use my EOS/It's skin lip balm, so far so good <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This so awesome~ ^^ your reviews are amazing really detailed and honest and so helpful~<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, such a shame that it has more cons than pros. :( I haven't tried any Kiehl's product because they really are pricey.
    Anyway, do you want us to follow each other? Let me know!

    xx, Mela
    www.wearismela.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds good these lip balm. I think to try it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww it's a shame it was overhyped, I've heard Blistex is supposed to be amazing but I've never tried it.

    Liv xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I've been wanting to try some Kiels products : O

    www.closetvoyage.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello!!!
    Thank you for letting me know about that Google Reader. I am officially on bloglovin' now!!
    Hmm. . . Kiehls in Hawaii isn't very common. So I'm not too sure about the hype but, I think petroleum jelly (vaseline) works the best for chapped lips. I usually use it as a night time lip balm. I think vaseline came out with a lip balm tube also. If you are still having chapped lip problems, have you tried using a lip scrub made up of olive oil and sugar? Anyways, great review!!!
    [Click]

    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    (")_(")

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi June! chapped *painful lips..I can definitely relate to that! I recommend Chap Ice moisture lip balm. That actually solved my chronically dry chapped lips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. whew.. i like Kiehl's so much, but never try their lipbalm. gonna try it soon thou... thank you for this review, June! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. amazing blog..! you have a new follower ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...